Last night, out of boredom and tiredness, I decided to write something in Korean. I haven’t read any Korean grammar books for months and I’m not updated with my studies so I really don’t know if I made any sense with this but I totally know that I messed up. While writing this, I only have my handy dictionary with me so please bear with the wrong grammar, conjugation, choice of words and my silly handwriting (I really need some practice). I really tried my best to construct this one, so please be gentle with me.
Here’s what I wrote:
제 이름은 사라입니다. 저는 22살이에요.
저는 필리핀 사람이에요. 하지만 지금 미국에 살이에요.
저는 한국에 가고 싶어요.
저도 언젠가 가적이랑 여행하고 싶어요.
아름다운 장소들(에) 가고 싶어요.
많이 것은 하고 싶어요.
하지만 우선은 저는 한국말 필요 배워요.
그래서 제발 저를 가르치에요. 감사합니다.
Here’s a photo of that piece of paper with my handwriting.
My thoughts on what I wrote:
- First of all, I really don’t know what to write/say so I just looked up for several words from the dictionary and just patched them together (I know I’m bad at it, but I should try.)
- Here’s what I really wanted to say:
Hi everyone! My name is Sarah. I’m 22 years old. I’m a Filipino but I now live in America. I want to go to Korea. I also want to travel with my family someday. I want to go to beautiful places. I want to do a lot of things. But first of all, I need to learn Korean. So please teach me. Thank you. Bye!
- As you may have noticed, I used -고 싶어(요) almost always. That’s because that’s the only thing I know (and remember) aside from the greetings 안녕하세요 and 안녕.
- Right before posting this I tried to translate it using google and it’s really awful.
- I learned from Cyworld that 소개 means ‘introduction’ but when I tried to translate 제 소개 it means ‘about me’. Hmm. 😕
- I think I should have just written 제 이름은 사라이에요 instead of ending it with -입니다.
- I was having trouble with the sequencing of words so I know I totally messed up with this one. Especially the part ‘but first of all, I need to learn Korean.’ I don’t know how to construct it so I just searched for the words and wrote it down.
- I tried to translate the English version of what I wrote in Google Translate. Here’s what it said:
안녕하십니까! 내 이름은 사라입니다. 난 22 살이에요. 내가 필리핀어지만 지금은 미국에서 살고있다. 나는 한국에 가고 싶어요. 나도 언젠가는 내 가족과 함께 여행을 싶어요. 난 아름다운 곳으로 가고 싶어요. 나는 많은 것들을하고 싶어요. 하지만 무엇보다도, 한국어를 배울 필요가있다. 그래서 절 좀 가르쳐주세요. 감사합니다. 안녕!
- I want to say sorry to the books that I’ve been reading, tutorials that I’ve been studying and the podcasts that I’ve been listening. It seems that I haven’t learned a thing. 😥